SIMPLE STRATEGIES FOR EXTRA PEDOMETER STEPS
NEW-LIFESTYLES challenges you to start maximizing opportunities in your life to move more. Small changes can add up to large increases in your daily activity level. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Park in the farthest space from the store or mall.
- Walk, run and play actively with your children or grandchildren.
- Mow your yard using a push mower.
- Take a walking break instead of a coffee break at work.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Hide your remote and change channels the old-fashioned way.
- Put on upbeat music while you clean your house.
- Better yet, find your own rhythm and move to the hum of the dishwasher or clothes washer. Clean your kitchen and get some extra steps as the machines do the "dirty work!"
- Take up dance — ballroom, clogging, you name it. Most of us love music, and it's fun!